Toenail fungus is a common infection that can occur easily.
The reasons are different but it affects them in the same manner.
The infection starts from the edge of the toe but it keeps on increasing if not treated properly.
Thus, it is important to treat toe infection in a serious way.
Although medical assistance should be taken in this situation at the beginning of the problem, home remedies can also work in an effective manner. One of those efficient home remedies is Vicks Vaporub. Yes, Vicks Vaporub can help you in getting rid of the toenail fungus.
What is a Toenail Fungus?
Toenail fungus which is scientifically known as onychomycosis is one of the most common fungal infections that affect the toenails. There are various reasons for toenail fungus and there are numerous types of fungi responsible for it. Most of the toenail fungus are caused by dermatophytes, but for some the reason may be yeasts and molds. In general the infection or fungus commences at the edge or corner of the toenail and with time it infects the entire nail.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus
Toenail fungus can be easily identified. If any of the below mentioned condition is present, it may be one of the symptoms of toenail fungus:-
- Thickened nails: The infected toenail becomes thickened and disfigured.
- Discoloration: There are some cases in which toenail fungus affects the color of the toe. In this case, the toe may turn yellow, brown, or white.
- Fragile nails: In Some situations of toenail fungus, there is a possibility of the nail becoming brittle or crumbly.
- Differences in nail texture: There is also a possibility of the nail becoming rough or developing pits or ridges.
- Development or accumulation of debris: Debris such as skin fragments or fungal material can also develop and gather under the nail in case of toenail fungus.
- Pain or discomfort: This is the most common symptom of toenail fungus which causes pain or discomfort, mainly when we wear shoes.
Steps to Prevent Toenail Fungus
If you wish to prevent toenail fungus, you may have a look at some of the below mentioned preventive measures:-
- Hygiene:- The most important measure that you can take for the prevention of toenail fungus is hygiene. This measure is not just to prevent toenail fungus but it is also for self hygiene and maintenance. It is important to practice good foot hygiene.
- Keep your feet clean and dry:- The other factor that should be considered is keeping your feet clean and dry.
- Use moisture-wicking socks:- It is highly recommended to wear moisture wicking socks as fungus can be easily developed in moisture.
- Breathable shoes :- You should prefer the shoes which are best suited to your size and foot structure. Your shoes must be breathable which means that your feet should not be stressed while being in the shoes.
- Avoid being barefoot in public areas :- Many of us walk barefoot in public areas. This can cause a serious issue as being barefoot in dust or unhygienic places can cause toenail fungus and other problems related to this.
- Regular inspection :- It is significant to inspect your feet and nails on a regular basis for any signs of infection.
Reasons For Toenail Fungus
There are numerous aspects that can lead to the formation of toenail fungus. Below mentioned are some of the reasons for toenail fungus:-
- Infection spread: Toenail fungus is a kind of infection which can be transmitted easily. It can be spread via direct contact with an infected person or by sharing items like towels, socks, or shoes.
- Warmth and moisture: Fungi easily develop in warm and moist environments.
- Walking barefoot:- Walking barefoot in public areas such as public swimming pools, locker rooms, and communal showers augments the risk of getting in touch with fungus causing toenail infection.
- Tight footwear: Wearing tight-fitting shoes or sneakers can lead to the development of a cramped environment for the toes. This will cause more sweating and creation of moisture. Ultimately this will increase the risk of toenail fungus.
- Poor hygiene: Inadequate foot hygiene can also be a reason for toenail fungus as infections are caused by fungus, viruses, etc. which are mainly developed in unhygienic areas.
- Nail damage or injury: Any damage to the toenail, such as a stubbed toe, can make an entry point for fungi. In addition, getting minor injuries to the nail on a regular basis such as from ill-fitting footwear or sports activities, can make the nail weak. This will make it more prone to infection.
- Weak immune system: A weakened immune system that can be due to various reasons such as medical conditions (such as diabetes, HIV/AIDS) or medications (such as corticosteroids or immunosuppressants) can augment the risk of the development of toenail fungus.
- Aging: With increased age, our nails may become more brittle, develop ridges, and be more prone to infection. The natural aging process can also contribute to the formation of toenail fungus.
Is Vicks Vaporub Effective On Toenail Fungus?
Vicks vaporub on toenail fungus is effective to some extent as there are a lot of reports which have shown that Vicks VapoRub can help in getting rid of the toenail fungus.
However, it is significant to note that there is limited scientific evidence to support the effectiveness of Vicks VapoRub on toenail for fungus infection.
The ingredients in Vicks VapoRub, such as camphor, eucalyptus oil, and menthol consists of various antifungal properties which are mainly responsible for curing toenail fungus.
However their effectiveness against toenail fungus has not been extensively studied yet.
How To Use Vicks Vaporub On Toenail Fungus?
If you wish to make use of Vicks VapoRub as a home remedy for toenail fungus, you may have a look at the below mentioned steps:-
- Washing and drying:- Firstly you should wash and dry your feet in a thorough manner. You should make sure that the affected toenails are clean and dry before applying Vicks VapoRub.
- Nail clippers:- After frying your toe, you may use a nail clipper and trim the infected toenail as short as possible. This will help the Vicks VapoRub in working in a more effective manner as it will reach the affected area more properly.
- Applying:- After trimming your nail, you can take a small amount of Vicks VapoRub on your fingertip or a cotton swab. By this, you should apply a thin layer of the Vicks VapoRub directly to the affected toenail and the surrounding skin.
- Massage:- then, you should gently massage the VapoRub into the nail and surrounding area so that it reaches the affected and the surrounding area properly.
- Covering:- after massaging gently, it is significant to cover the treated toenail so that the Vicks VapoRub stays for some time and works effectively.
- Repeat:- you may repeat this process 2-3 times a day to see results in a rapid manner.
Side Effects Of Vicks Vaporub On Toenail
In general, Vicks VapoRub is completely safe for usage, however, there are some minor side effects of making use of Vicks VapoRub which are as follows:-
- Skin irritation: Vicks VapoRub is made up of ingredients such as camphor, eucalyptus oil, and menthol, which may cause skin irritation or allergic reactions in some individuals.
In case you encounter redness, itching, rash, or any other kind of irritation, you should stop using Vicks VapoRub. In addition, you should wash the affected area in a thorough manner.
- Nail discoloration: Some studies have also shown than temporary nail discoloration is possible after making use of Vicks VapoRub and applying it to the toenails. This issue of discoloration generally goes away once the user stops making use of it.
- Interference with medications: Vicks VapoRub has a strong aroma. It may consist of ingredients that can get in touch with certain medications or medical devices such as oxygen masks or nasal cannulas. Thus, in case you are making use of any medical devices, it is significant to get in touch with your healthcare provider before using Vicks VapoRub.
How To Know Whether The Toenail Fungus Is Going Away Or Not?
If you wish to know that whether your toenail fungus is going away or not, you can have a look at the below mentioned aspects which are the signs that shows that your toenail fungus is resolving :-
- Nail appearance: you should pay attention to the appearance of the toenail having fungus. If your nail seems less discolored, more translucent, and smoother, it means that your fungus is going away.
- Nail growth: the other sign is nail growth. If your nail grows and it is less affected by fungus than before, it means that your toenail fungus is resolving.
- Reduction in symptoms: If you experience any kind of reduction in the symptoms of toenail fungus such as discomfort, itching, or pain, this shows that the treatment is working.
- Less spread: If the fungus initially affected multiple toenails, you should notice a decrease in the number of affected nails over time.
Is applying Vicks vaporub enough to get rid of toenail fungus?
It depends on the situation. In case it is the beginning of your fungus, it may get cured by applying vicks vaporub.
But if the situation is getting worse, it is important to consult a doctor.
How much time does toenail fungus take to get completely cured?
It may take 1-3 months to get completely cured.
Is toenail fungus permanent?
No it is not permanent but if it is not treated properly then it may cause permanent damage.
So this was all about toenail fungus, its reasons, symptoms, preventive measures and the role of Vicks VapoRub in this infection. Vicks VapoRub can be an effective home remedy to cure toenail fungus. It can be applied easily and there are no major side effects of its use. However, there are some minor side effects that may be experienced by some individuals. Thus, if you feel that your toenail fungus is resolving by using Vicks VapoRub, you may continue applying it. But in case you are facing any kind of irritation or any other issue you should discontinue its usage. In addition, it is highly recommended to consult a professional in situations like toenail fungus.
Matthew Allen is a San Francisco-based blogger and writer with over 5 years of experience in the tech, productivity, and personal development space. His blog, Myreks.com, has over 1000 monthly visitors. He is also the author of the book “The Fit Tech”, which has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and Forbes.