Longboard cruising is not just a physical activity, it is also a type of recreational activity or a cheap or it can be said to be a free mode of transportation. In addition, it is also one of the best ways to enjoy the outdoors and have a cheap, soothing and pleasurable journey.
What are Longboard Wheels?
Longboard wheels are specially designed wheels for use in longboard cruising. These wheels play a significant role in the determination of performance, quality of ride, duration of ride, longboard experience, etc. There are a lot of types of longboard wheels that come in different sizes, shapes, prices, durometers, shapes, etc.
Some of The Common Features of Longboard Wheels are As Follows:-
- Durometer:- This refers to the scale on which the hardness of the wheel is measured. In general, longboard wheels have a low durometer range. This range determines the softness or hardness of the wheel. If the range is less it means it is softer and vice versa. Softer longboard wheels are much better than harder ones as they offer smooth and comfortable rides, offer a better grip and are a great choice for longboard cruising.
- Diameter:- It refers to the size of the longboard wheels. For longboard cruising, usually large sized wheels are preferred. They provide assistance in maintaining the momentum. In addition, they very easily and smoothly roll on the surfaces.
- Shape:- longboard wheels come in a variety of shapes like square edged, round edged or conical. The shape of a longboard wheel plays a crucial role as it affects the grip of the wheels on the surface.
- Core designs:- Longboard wheels come in various core designs, some of which are sideset centers and offset. This core design affects the look of the wheel. The life of the wheel also depends on the core design as It can influence the performance of the wheel while sliding or making turns.
- Lip profile:- It refers to the edge of the longboard wheel. It may be sharp or rounded. It also influences the performance of the wheel.
9 Best Longboard Wheels For Cruising And Their Features
There are a lot of longboard wheels for cruising with different features, styles, shape, size, etc which enhances the overall performance. Some of these longboard wheels are as follows:-
Sector 9 Nine Ball
Sector 9 Nine Ball is a skateboard wheel offered by a well known brand named Sector 9. The brand offers an amazing quality of products.
This product named Sector 9 Nine Ball has a diameter of 70 mm and a durometer of 78A which is pretty good. Besides, the contact patch is around 38 mm.
The wheel has a centerset core which gives a good experience and has an amazing and attractive look.
- These wheels have a reasonable price.
- They are made up of top shelf urethane due to which they have a longer life.
- They are quite softer.
Nine ball wheels may cause a little bit of difficulty while on some sidewalks as it may be rugged.
Orangatang in Heat
These are other amazing longboard wheels which have been designed by a popular brand named Orangatang. This company is well known for its longboard wheels.
The company offers amazing longboard wheels with a simple designing, great quality and a very reasonable pricing.
These wheels have a diameter of 75 mm which is again a good diameter.
If we talk about their durometers, they come in different durometers such as 77A, 80A, 83A and 86A.
You may go for the one that you feel will be the most comfortable for you. And if we talk in general then a durometer of less range is better as it will be softer and softer longboard wheels are best for comfortable and enjoyable riding.
- These wheels offer a comfortable and smooth riding experience.
- Their grip is good.
It has been noticed that these wheels have a short life.
Big Boy 70 mm Gel Solid Skateboard Wheels
These are other longboard wheels that are highly reasonable. The above mentioned are also reasonable in accordance with their qualities, features, etc. But if you are looking for a more reasonable one, it is an amazing option for you. These are 70 mm wheels as mentioned in the name. They are great for general cruising.
- They are cheap and affordable.
- These wheels are multi-purpose in nature.
They may not be that comfortable on rough surfaces.
Blood Orange Liam Morgan Pro
The company of these wheels is mainly known for the high quality of its longboard wheels.
The prices are a little bit high but reasonable.
They are available in the diameters of 60 mm, 65 mm and 70 mm. It gives you a choice.
The contact surface is a little bit narrowed.
The offset is at 2.5 mm.
The wheels has been composed by using the LMF Or Liam Morgan Formula which allows us to use these wheels for different purposes.
- These wheels are multi-purpose.
- They offer a highly comfortable and soothing riding experience.
- They can be used for downhills also.
Orangatang Caguama 85 mm Longboard Wheels For Cruising
These 85 mm longboard wheels are a little expensive.
They have a contact patch of 56 mm.
They are designed by making use of the Happy Thane Formula. This formula gives a good speed to the wheels and they are very comfortable also.
They Can Be Purchased in Any of The Below Mentioned Durometers:-
77A, 80A and 83A.
- They are versatile and have a good contact patch.
- They are very comfortable and offer a good speed.
- They can be easily used on rough surfaces.
They are a little bit expensive but according to their features, the price offered is reasonable.
Shark Wheel Sidewinder
These longboard wheels have an amazing and unique look.
The company is known for the production of unique wheels.
These wheels consist of some interlocking rings of sphere along with spherical shape.
These wheels are unique as they are made up of high rebound polyurethane material which makes them long lasting and comfortable.
They have a durometer of 78 mm.
- They have a unique and amazing design.
- The prices offered are reasonable.
- They are comfortable and long lived.
Their unique design may not seem good for everyone.
Cal 7 97 mm
These are another amazing longboard wheel with a diameter of 97 millimeters.
They have a contact patch of 47 millimeters.
The wheels have a durometer of 78A.
They have a center set hub with 44.45 mm.
- The prices are reasonable.
- They have a large diameter with a wide contact patch.
- They are very soft.
- They offer highly comfortable rides.
They are not really versatile.
Bigfoot Cored Classics
Bigfoot is a prominent company of longboard wheels. It has offered great stuff in recent years.
The bigfoot core classics are available in 3 diameters which are mentioned below :-
83 mm, 90 mm and 97 mm.
They have a durometer of 78 A which is pretty good.
They have a center set core along with an amazing look.
- They have a large diameter.
- They are very soft.
- They have a centerset core and are amazing for downhills.
It has been noticed that the design is not much liked by the users.
Fireball Beast 76 mm
This is another great option if you wish to purchase longboard wheels.
They have a diameter of 76 millimeters along with an offset core which is a unique feature.
They have fat lips.
These are available in the durometers of 81A, 84A and 87A.
- They have a high quality with reasonable pricing.
- They can be controlled easily.
- They have a good contact patch of 49 mm.
For some people, its durometer may be a little hard.
So this was all about longboard wheels and their features. There are a lot of longboard wheels with amazing and pleasing features. Out of those 9 longboard wheels have been mentioned and this article along with their features, advantages and disadvantages. You may go for any one of those in accordance with your needs and preferences.
Matthew Allen is a San Francisco-based blogger and writer with over 5 years of experience in the tech, productivity, and personal development space. His blog, Myreks.com, has over 1000 monthly visitors. He is also the author of the book “The Fit Tech”, which has been featured in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and Forbes.